14 August, 2006

My Heroes: (8) Michael Johnson

In 1996 Michael Johnson become the first man to win the 200m and the 400m in the same Olympics. In fact, no other athlete has won a 200m as well as a 400m Olympic Gold Medal. He was also the first man to retain the 400m title, at Sydney in 2000. He still holds the world records for both events and he had a spell between 1989 and 1997 when he won 58 consecutive 400m races.
He had an unusual, upright, running style with fairly low uplift and minimum arm-swing. Once when asked why he did not run in the same way as other athletes he said, "If I did I would be back there with them"!
Now he works as a commentator on athletics, mainly for the BBC where his knowledge, genial disposition and clear insight into all track events and competitors puts him, in my opinion, once again at the peak of his profession.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

This guy is amazing, dedicated, one-minded, but still with spirit and a human attitude, again, respect for himself and others, maximizes his talents.

Very admirable indeed.

I am sure the losing of all 'extraneous' movements and motions of body, would allow those energies to go into the primary places and give him advantage over the normal runners. That is intensity and dedication and self-study talking, the guy was always awake I would say.

Monday, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Bazza said...

Jim, as usual, I think your further analysis is spot-on. "Always awake" encapsulates his mental outlook beautifully.
Is he well known as someone who was born in Dallas?

Tuesday, August 15, 2006  
Blogger Jim said...

I will check that out Bazza, I have heard some things that would lead me to say yes, but let me double check that.

Sunday, August 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home